Crazy Mixed up Preserved Lemon Tabouli with Sprouts
- 1 cup very fine bulgur pinch or 2 of salt
- 2 cups chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped mint
- 1 cup chopped chives (garlic and onion)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 ounces oraganic mung beansprouts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon (see below)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 lemons, cut in half, then thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- Place the bulgur in a large bowl with salt. Pour 2/3 cup of boiling water over the bulgur and stir. Cover the bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove the cover, let cool 5 minutes or more.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with hummus and whole wheat or spelt bread (pita or bagel).
- Note: I found I could chop the parsley, mint, chives and even the bean sprouts in my food processor (one item at a time) on pulse. Do not chop past the level where there are different sized pieces, some fairly large, especially with the bean sprouts.
Quick Preserved Lemons
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and turn the heat to high. Bring to a boil and turn down, simmer for 5 minutes then take off the heat and cover for 10 minutes. Transfer to a container, cover when no longer hot, and refrigerate. Keeps for 3 weeks in refrigerator.